- About Us
- Training Courses
- Contact Us
CM 01: Construction Project Management
Knowledgeable, skilled and trained project manager is the leader of project teams and a key success factors for any project. There is a lack of properly trained project managers, which explains the large number of unsuccessful projects and enormous costs overruns in many organizations. This workshop is the first step in addressing these issues. Join us to find HOW?
The workshop provides the participants with the knowledge and the skills needed to keep the project on track and increase the chances of success. The first day introduces the participants to the five-step project management approach.as it relates to construction. The second day focuses on specific key construction issues related to all construction projects.
Who Should Attend
This is an introductory course to Construction project management. The course is an excellent opportunity for new and intermediate project managers and project team members. The course is also intended for anyone who wishes to learn more about construction project management.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Write a Project Charter and develop a realistic Project Management Plan (PMP)
- Develop a risk management plan, with contingency allowances and mitigation plans
- Choose the most appropriate project delivery, procurement method and contract type
- Set the project up for success, carry out spec and drawing review
- Explain the difference between bonding and insurance
- Identify types of change orders and how to handle them
Delivery Approach and Methodology
- The 2-day course is delivered on-line instructor-Led, live on zoom
- Instructor will walk the participants through a real-life project as an example to guide the participants in applying the tools to their own projects.
- Come prepared with your own project to practice applying all the tools and processes
- The sessions are interactive, participants contributions are expected and welcomed
- Each day is divided into Sections, varies between an hour to two hours
- Each session includes lecturing c/w examples, learning activities and group discussions
- There is a 10-minute breaks every hour
Construction Management Toolbox
Participants will take home two valuable handouts
- Summary of key messages discussed in the course (based on previous participants feedback)
- The toolbox is a collection of check lists, forms, and schedules.
Computer System Needed
- Desktop/laptop is required. Dual monitors are recommended. No phones please.
- Microphone, speaker, and webcam are required.
- High speed internet connection is recommended.
- Familiarity with google documents and sheets are recommended.
- Day IA: Introduction and PM tools
- An Introduction to Project management
- Develop Project charter
- create work breakdown structure (WBS)
- Develop a realistic project plan
- Day IB: Project implementation , control and closing
- Implement the plan
- Build project ownership among project team members;
- Monitor and Control the Project activities
- Close contracts and the project
- DAY II A: ORGANIZING FOR CONSTRUCTION FOR SUCCESS
- Owner major decisions to ensure projects get off to a good start.
- Critical Factors for Ensuring Project Success
- 10 commandments for project success.
- Specifications review, What, How, when and why
- Day II B: Bonding, Insurance and change orders
- Bonding, what ,when, why and how
- Types of insurance used in the construction industry.
- Preventive approach to reducing the number and amount of change orders.
- Definition of change orders, Reasons for changes, related Contract clauses.
- Instructor Bio:
Dr. Fahmy is the president of Performance Excellence Institute (PEI). A training and consulting firm located in Edmonton, Alberta. PEI is specialized in supporting organizations through providing expertise and training in project management, risk management, and communication skills.Dr. Fahmy is a P.Eng. PMP, RPM.CCM, CBC+, CSM, DASM, DTM, ATP(PMI). He is a retired adjunct professor from U of A where he taught Construction Project Management, Construction management, Contract Administration, Risk Management, and Interpersonal Communication Skills courses.Dr. Fahmy is an international speaker and trainer. He has more than 40 years of hands-on experience covering a wide range of project management challenges and opportunities. Dr. Fahmy’s expertise covers a wide range of topics including Project Management and Risk management, quality management, problem solving, decision-making, contract administration and communication skills.Dr. Fahmy has a unique interactive approach for delivering workshops and presentation. His depth of practical experience and enthusiasm make his presentations a highly informative, interesting, entertaining learning experience