- About Us
- Training Courses
- Contact Us
CM 06 – Communications Tools and Techniques for construction offices and sites
This is an introductory workshop. This two-day communication skills workshop is designed to address the individual’s communication needs of construction office and sites. The workshop starts with an understanding of oneself and moves on to understanding communication model, barriers, blockers and end with differentiating between poor and positive communication.
Who Should Attend
The workshop is designed to address the communication needs of almost everyone on construction projects.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective communication with co-workers, managers, friends, in a manner that promotes understanding and reduces stress and tension
- Explain communication skills by examining the communication model
- Identify specific approaches to enhance trust and communication among team members
- Relate effectively with difficult and challenging behaviours
- Prepare a personal action plan for improving self and communication
FORMAT AND METHODOLOGY
- The 2-day course is delivered on-line instructor-Led, live on zoom
- The facilitator uses practice sessions, role playing, and case studies
- Each day is divided into Sections, varies between an hour to two hours
- Each session includes lecturing c/w examples, learning activities and group discussions
- Be prepared to share your opinion to enhance common understanding
- There is a 10-minute breaks every hour
Computer System Needed
- Desktop/laptop is required. Dual monitors are recommended. No phones please
- Microphone, speaker, and webcam are required
- Be prepared to share your opinions to enhance communication and understanding
- High speed internet connection is recommended
COMMUNICATION SKILLS SURVIVAL TOOLKIT
Participants will take home two key documents:
- A Quick Reference Guide: A summary of key messages discussed
- A toolbox: the workshop material includes a collection of guidelines and templates used.
Day I A: Understanding Self and communication
- Get to know, understand and appreciate yourself
- Understanding communication and communication model
- Key issues in developing an open and honest communication that will enhance the productivity and trust among individuals
Day IB: A Practical Approach to Building Relationships with Project Stakeholders
- Importance of relationships on construction projects
- Behavior Styles
- Identify and understand behavior types
- Behavior flexibility, Variety of real-life exercises
Day IIA: Office Communication protocol
- Importance of paperwork as a communication tool, why and how
- Email protocol and use of text message
- Face to face communication
- Meeting types, and best practices
Day IIB: Site communications
- Consequence of miscommunication and misunderstanding
- How to speak-7 key rules
- How to listen- 7 key rules
- 10 ways to improve communication on site
- Fahmy is the president of Performance Excellence Institute (PEI). A training and consulting firm located in Edmonton, Alberta. PEI is specialized in supporting organizations through providing expertise and training in project management, risk management, and communication skills.
- Fahmy is a P.Eng. PMP, RPM.CCM, CBC+, CSM, DASM, DTM, ATP(PMI). He is a retired adjunct professor from U of A where he taught Construction Project Management, Construction management, Contract Administration, Risk Management, and Interpersonal Communication Skills courses.
- Fahmy is an international speaker and trainer. He has more than 40 years of hands-on experience covering a wide range of project management topics.
- Fahmy has a unique interactive approach for delivering workshops and presentation. His depth of practical experience and enthusiasm make his presentations a highly informative, interesting, entertaining learning experience.